Sunday 22 April 2012

Fit Day Diet Results



1. UK Department of Health Estimated Average Requirements (EAR) are a daily calorie intake of 1940 calories per day for women
2. Food intake 
     
3. Activities Done 






4. Report: Calories Chart

5. Nutrition Report 

6. Report: %-RDA/AI Graph

7. Report: Calorie Balance

 Anaylsis: 
1. Nutrients (including fats) from the nutrients pie chart on FitDay
We can see from my nutrition intake chart that I mainly consume fats and carbohydrates and only little amounts of protein. Though having some fat calorie intake, I don't think its health that it is my main nutrition food group. I should probably consume more protein because it is better for muscle growth as opposed to fat. 
2. Daily allowance in relation to what you ate (largely from the food group recommendations on MyPyramid)
Seeing as how the average calorie intake is around 1900 calories for women a day, we can see that I am consuming sufficiently less. This is probably because I have been trying to lose weight and therefore have not been eating very much.
3. Identify three nutrients that you consumed close to 100% of RDA
On the weekend, I consumed Fibre, Riboflavin, and 
Phosphorus close to a 100% of RDA.
On the week day, I consumed Manganese, Niacin, and Thiamin 

4. Identify three nutrients that you either over-consumed (far above 100%) or under consumed (very low) irregularities you might have (too high or too low)
On the weekend, I had no vitamin D and very little calcium along with super high amounts of copper. High amounts of copper is not necessarily
 bad because it maintains healthy bones and connective tissue whilst protecting your nerves.
On week days, I did not consume particularly high amounts of any one nutrients but no vitamin D and  very low amounts of vitamin A and Calcium. This is not very good because calcium is good for your bones growing and vitmin A is good for your skin and for your hair. Since this is important to me, I should probably start eating foods with more vitamin A such as carrots. Vitamin D is also a important in making your bones grow, it is not very healthy that I do have enough vitamin D along with calcium. 

5. Use the internet to research what the nutrients in #3 and #4 and identify the following:

a. What the nutrient does for the body (what is its function?)

Fibre: Found in wholemeal grain foods such as bread, pasta, and cereals. It is important for your body to properly digest food and consumer nutrients.
Riboflavin: It is a type of vitamin B that is found in milk, meats, eggs, and nuts. It is used for maintaining health hair and skin along with slow aging and can help boost athletic performance. 

Phosphorus: It is and integral part of developing and growing bones and teeth. It is mainly found in milk and meats because it works with protein. 
Manganese: It is important for skin, bone, and cartilage formation and it is found in nuts, wheat germ, seeds and brans. It is good to eat a sufficient amount of this because it helps release important antioxidant enzymes.
Niacin: It is a water soluble vitamin B which helps the digestive system convert food to energy. It is found in mainly dairy products, eggs and meats. 
Thiamin: It is used to help the body convert carbohydrates into energy, found in breads, grains and enriched or lean meats. 
Calcium: It helps maintain and form healthy teeth and bones. Most common source of calcium is dairy products such as milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. Because I don't have high amounts of this, I am not helping my bones and teeth grow stronger so if I continue with this low calcium diet, my bones could start to weaken. 
Copper: Helps maintain healthy bones and connective tissue while also creating a protective layer for your nerves. It is found in most green vegetables, specifically green ones. Lima beans are a great source of copper. Consuming high amounts of copper is not really known to be bad for you because it is really good with helping protect your nerves but if you don't eat enough, you could develop copper deficiency which is not good for your bones because they may start to deteriorate. 
Vitamin D: It is important in helping your bones to grow. It is rather unique because it is stimulated by sunlight but can be found in fatty fish such as mackerel or tuna. My absolute lack of vitamin D is probably not very good because it works on the calcium to help grow bones. Because I also have low levels of calcium, my bones could weaken therefore, I should eat more fish and dairy products to help my bones.
Vitamin A: Ensures that you have healthy skin and healthy hair. A great source is carrots but it is also found in other colored fruits and vegetables. Since having nice hair and skin is important to me, I could naturally make them nicer by eating more fruit and vegetables. 

6. Identify long term concerns that you will need to be aware of (e.g. a high fat diet would result in higher risk of heart attack) and how you might alter your lifestyle and choices to be more healthy in the future.

At the moment, I have a very low calorie diet because I am trying to lose weight. This may be an alright short term solution but it is not burning off the calories for long amounts of time. The calorie intake is much lower than the average calorie intake of 1900 that a normal woman should consume so that is why I may have to start increasing my daily calorie consumption because along with exercising, I am not getting enough energy that I need throughout the day.  
7. Compare your food and exercise data to what is recommended for your age, weight, gender and exercise from MyPyramid.gov.

For my age group I should be doing around 60 minutes of physical activity every day. I am doing way less than the recommended amount. If I was doing this amount of activity, I could probably be able to consume the average calorie intake each day because I would burn it off easily. 
8. In your analysis identify ways that your exercise and diet might affect you in the future. In particular, what "health concerns" do you have for your future? What changes would you have to make in your lifestyle to become more healthy? How easy/difficult would these changes be for you and why?

I think that if I continue this low calorie diet, in the long run, it will slow down my metabolism because I am not building it up enough with the amount I exercise. I generally do not find time to keep up a highly active lifestyle because of school and other time consuming commitments therefore I do not know if exercising for 60 minutes a day is a very practical or realistic goal for me. 
9. Finally, identify any problem areas that you felt might have given a not-so-good idea of your actual diet and exercise patterns. What there a problem with the program's database in terms of information input? Was the diet and exercise indicative of your normal weekday lifestyle choices? Note any problems in your blog.

The diet does not really reflect how I usually eat or exercise because I have recently started dieting and going to the gym therefore, my calorie burning is not that much higher than my calories consumed on a normal basis. An issue is also that I may not have included the correct amounts of consumption weather it be from the inaccurate serving sizes or because it is an american program specifically modified for american intakes. Therefore, some of our foods were not the exact food we ate. This may result in too many or not enough calories for each item. 


No comments:

Post a Comment